Sunday, December 1, 2013

Challenge Chicks with Lydia


It's the first Sunday of the month which is my standing date with the Challenge Chicks, and Lydia is our hostess today!  I was all ready to say Happy December...but a warning.  Lydia does not appear to be a big fan of the snow and cold ;)!  She has issued us a challenge to shed winter layers already!

*We are to make a one-layer card AND the theme/images must have nothing to do with winter!*
No Christmas, no snowflakes, no hot cocoa.  No winter!  

I barely remembered that part of the challenge when I sat down.  I was still perseverating on the "one-layer" part, UGH!  How am I supposed to cover up all my mistakes?!!! Somehow, shedding layers made me think of feathers I guess, LOL!  I used my Fine Feathers and Funky Feathers stamp sets from Waltzingmouse Stamps and made a get well card.


 (Now when I look at it, it IS rather snowflake-like, eek!) 

Even though I stuck to the rules with the one layer of paper, there ended up being lots of layers of ink and embossing.   I am pretty sure that I am allergic to one layer cards...they induce hives!  The feathers are stamped in VersaMark and heat embossed with white powder.  I stamped the hearts in all different shades of blue, teal, and aqua ink and added some Stardust Stickles.


Before adding the hearts, though, I sprayed the paper with 3 kinds of glimmer mists in light silvery blue (okay, it's called glacier, but I said that in a very small voice), aqua, and teal, keeping the darker colors at the top and going lighter toward the bottom.  If I had to do it again, I may have stamped a few less feathers to keep that lighter, floating, drifting down kind of  feel :)


Your turn to play along!  Upload your creations to Splitcoaststampers using the keyword CHXDEC13 or post a card or projects on your blog and upload a link to our Facebook page HERE!



Supplies:
Stamps:  Funky Feathers (feather, heart) Fine Feathers (sentiment), both Waltzingmouse Stamps
Paper:  PTI Soft Stone
Ink:  VersaMark, various blues. aquas from Fresh Ink and A Muse Studio, Stazon Black
Other:  Tattered Angels Glimmer Mists in Glacier and Sea Glass and Heidi Swapp glimmer spray in Teal, Filagree white embosssing powder, Stickles, sheer ribbon


3 comments:

Cathy Weber said...

Love your one layer card Kelly...the feathers embossed in white are beautiful on that teal paper. Love how you added some sparkle and still kept to the one layer.

Marybeth said...

Kelly this is gorgeous! I was In Nordstrom the other day and saw bags that look like this and the birthday card you made me. I thought of you. You do such beautiful work with this stamp set.

Joan B said...

love this