Saturday, July 16, 2011

Copic 101 Sketch


This week at the Waltzingmouse Sketch Challenge blog, the featured sketch is by the wonderful Julia Aston!  Isn't it cool?  I rotated the sketch 90 degrees to the left so that I could fit this rose in...


Used Text-It and Dainty Doilies-Large, for the background.  I think my ink pad is getting dry because some of the doilies turned out to have a nice gradient scheme...an "oops" that worked!  The sentiment is from Say it Loud, and the rose and leaves from Roses In Bloom

Had to use a rose since I took that Copic Beginner class last weekend in Syracuse!  I practiced a bit with some fave images that were "colorable" when I got home.  My class was directed by Colleen Schaan, and she did a terrific job!  We all had to color a small circle in completely with 1 color, and then she went around and judged our "touch".  Apparently I am "heavy handed" (lots of ink bleeding through to the other side of the paper)!  I told her that this diagnosis goes right along with my previous ones of having a "lead foot" and "thick skull", giggle! 

My shading on this is a little bit better in person, but some appears to have disappeared after "correcting" this photo!  I also added dimension by stamping 3 roses, and then paper-piecing them back together in 3 layers like this...


Your turn to create!  Upload  your project HERE by next Friday, June 22, and be sure to include at least one Waltzingmouse Stamps image on your creation.  That way you will be eligible to be the randomly-selected player to win a stamp set of choice!  Good luck!

Supplies:  Say it Loud, Dainty Doilies-Large, Roses in Bloom, and Text-It, all Waltzingmouse Stamps
Paper:  PTI Vintage Cream and Kraft
Ink:  Memento Tuxedo Black, Copic Markers to color the rose, Antique Linen and Tea Dye Distress inks on the leaves, VersaMagic Wheat and Sahara Sand, VersaColor Cardinal
Other:  red rhinestones, Diamond Stickles, dimensionals

12 comments:

Deborah Frings said...

Wow - this rose looks amazing - great dimension and super colouring! Brilliant take on the sketch!

Anonymous said...

Your rose is adorable Kelly! So inspiring ;)
Rx

Cathy Weber said...

You did so good coloring the rose! Seriously, really good. I love your take on the sketch, turning it so the rose would work for the sketch was really smart. Now I know my next set is going to be the doilies. Great job for a heavy handed gal!

Wendy ten Hove said...

Sooo pretty! That rose is gorgeous! Love your previous card as well, very stylish!
Hugs, Wendy

Karin Åkesdotter said...

FABULOUS!!! Your card is soo beautiful Kelly - I LOVE it! Super coloring too!

Julia Aston said...

Your layered flower is just gorgeous Kelly - looks like you brought some skills home from your class! I want to just reach out and touch this bloom!

Pauline said...

This is gorgeous Kelly, I love your colouring on this gorgeous rose.

Karen B. said...

Your card is beautiful, as is your coloring!

Joyce across the Pond said...

Oh I wish I could colour as good as you have...a great rose...well done! NO copic classes this side of the pond I fear.

Sarah said...

A beautiful card Kelly, that is another of my favourite stamp sets. The colouring is great, I have a little confession I think I am the only cardmaker on the planet who doesn't own any copics! They are on my wish list though.

Pauline said...

this is beautiful elly, your rose is perfectly coloured and I do love the doilies for backgrounds, love the colours you used here too.

Pauline said...

Oops, sorry for the typo, Kelly!!