Thursday, February 25, 2010

PTI Blog Hop...pick a Designer!

It's time for another PTI Blog Hop!  This month we were to pick a creation by a Design Team Member and put our own spin on it!

So with awe and a little trepidation...I chose THIS CARD by the lovely Melissa Phillips!  When you scroll down (past the "Out for Publication" icons, YAY!)...you will see a sweet little card featuring Take Three: Spring with bunnies and pom-pom tails, and a side panel featuring Background Basics: Tin Types.

Here is my card:

It might be the most detailed card that I have ever made...and it's heavy, too...hee!  I had ink everywhere when I was done.  I must have answered the phone in the middle of this project, because I noticed purple streaks on it later in the day!  For my card, I kept Melissa's general layout (except moving the buttons to the top), pastel colors, and used Background Basics: Tin Types on the side.

The violets from Year of the Flower: Violets stamp set were stamped on watercolor paper with Stazon Timber Brown and then I sponged them with various Tim Holtz Distress Inks.  If you don't have this set, you NEED to get it!  I almost never purchase flower sets, and I am SO glad that I did!  I was afraid I couldn't color them correctly, but SPONGING them?  Now THAT I can do.  It is the equivalent of scribbling with a sponge!  The side panel is Background Basics:  Tin Types (LOVE) with White Opal Liquid Pearl Centers (more LOVE).  Melissa always puts snip-its and scraps of her favorite things on every card.  I used a snip of my fave turquoise mini ric-rac and some vintage white buttons collected from a garage sale!

I chose the sentiment because Melissa shows us in her posts that "Every day is a gift."  She talks so lovingly about her daughter and her family, she makes the gloomiest, "sleet-iest" day sound just perfect, and you can just smell the delicious recipes she is baking in her kitchen as she describes them.  I truly love visiting her blog, and whether you are a stamper or not, every visit will leave you with the biggest smile on your face and a warm feeling in your heart!  Thanks for inspiring us in so many ways, Melissa Phillips!

Supplies:
Stamps:  Year of the Flower: Violets, PTI, Background Basics: Tin Types, PTI, sentiment from Everyday Button Bits, PTI, Weave Backgrounder, Cornish Heritage Farms
Paper:  PTI Vintage Cream cardstock, watercolor paper
Ink:  Tim Holtz Distress inks (Broken China, Mulled Lavender, Concord Grape, Tea Dye), Stampin Up Retired Bliss Blue, Stazon Timber Brown, yellow marker, PTI Tea Dye Duo
Other:  White Opal Liquid Pearls, Stickles, vintage white buttons, mini turquoise ric rac, PTI's Lavender Moon Grosgrain Ribbon, sponge daubers, dimensionals

60 comments:

Lea L. said...

Very pretty card!! I love the beautiful ribbon! Great job with the challenge!

♥Lea

Kay D said...

Ooh- pretty! I really love the way you colored the flowers- they're just gorgeous! I also love the liquid pearls (makes me want to go grab my Tin Type set and CASE it!)

Dana said...

Oooh, I love that row of buttons and your bow is awesoem!

Laura :) said...

Beautiful card! Love the different shades of the violets!

Elizabeth S. said...

So pretty!! I love everything about this card.

Ted said...

I love how the center violet has a bit more purple and sets off the ribbon. Well done!

Taheerah said...

I love this - your flowers came out so pretty!!

Mrs. Tamashiro said...

I love the depth of your flowers. Nice work!

Tricia T said...

The violets are so pretty! You did such a great job on the challenge!

Anika said...

Very pretty! Nicely done!

Lori said...

I chose Melissa as well. You did a great job, I love all the purples and the new background!

mimi said...

Oh my goodness this card is just BEAUTIFUL!! It is so soft and romantic. I love your choice of sentiment too. You did a wonderful job with this challenge!!

Marge said...

WOW, G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S in every way!!!

Banu said...

Beautiful card.....Loved the colors :)

Shay said...

So, so pretty! The detail on your card is glorious. Love your blog!

Diane Jaquay said...

This is so GORGEOUS! I adore Melissa's work but her style is hard for me to recreate; you've done a marvelous job of it!

Rhonda said...

So pretty.

Nadine said...

What a great tribute to Melissa! I think you're the first one I've seen doing a Melissa card. I love her work too but Im waaaaayyy intimidated to even imitate, lol!! Beautiful card!

Pat said...

Great idea to sponge the flowers. And I love your background treatment. Too cool!

Lizzie Jones said...

I absolutely love the liquid pearls. I've been thinking a lot about using the pearls with this set lately, but now that I've seen it I know it has to happen! Beautiful work! Thank you for sharing!

Kay said...

Wow, this card is amazing! I love the buttons and liquid pearl you added. This is so detailed and gorgeous! ♥♥ Kay

Rosanne said...

Its gorgeous!

Vera Yates (Ling) said...

Beautiful. Great job with the card. :)

Nancy L. said...

beautiful card!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful card! I love Melissas style.

Anonymous said...

Those violets are simply beautiful. I'll have to give sponging a try!

Dru said...

Very pretty - love the pearl detail!

Sue Ann said...

Your card is beautiful and your coloring is great ....... oh so pretty!!!

Liz said...

So pretty! I love that you used the pearl accents throughout the background, too!

Daniela F. said...

Very, very pretty!! Love all the little details :)

Carly said...

Wow! Beautiful!

Rose said...

Lovely flowers, and the dot in the middle...so cute !!!

Cathy Weber said...

You did a really, really good job sponging the violets. They look so true to life!

Unknown said...

Beautiful card!! You did a great job with the inspiration!:)

Cammie said...

This is a beautiful card and tribute to Melissa!

Janelle said...

Pretty card! So you sponged the flowers?! They look fabulous! A great tribute to Melissa Phillips, too.

Sherry said...

LOVE it!

Gayatri said...

Liquid pearls is an awesome touch. Pleasant colors. Very Melissa Phillips! Well done.

Kim said...

Very pretty. I like the cluster of flowers.

Linda W said...

Lovely! Your sponging worked beautifully. And I like the pearl on the background. Way to make it your own!

Sharron said...

Love your card--it is so lovely! Your violets look wonderful and all the little details make it just perfect!

Tonya said...

It is beautiful, right down to every last detail!

Terri said...

Nice job! I think your flowers came out great. I especially like the sentiment you used too. Definitely something Melissa would say.

Michelle (abzzymom) said...

Beautiful card! I love the liquid pearls in the center of your flowers and background. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Great interpretation & love your coloring!

peggysue said...

Flower sets kind of scare me too, you did a great job with it. I'll have to try the sponging technique with one. Purple streaks on the phone? Not here. Glitter on the dinner table? nah . . .nah, not here. :) Very pretty creation, I'll come back to case it if I'm brave enough to get the violets!

IamDerby said...

So pretty! I adore your flowers.

jen said...

This is sooo pretty! Love the little details- and the flowers have so much depth! Great job!

Jennifer L. said...

So pretty. The pearl drops are a great touch!

Laural-Lee said...

Great finicky cutting...something I detest. Beautiful card.

Maureen said...

great grid and colours!! love the row of buttons :)

Karin said...

Super pretty! The bow and button row is awesome!

Rebecca said...

BEEEEEEEEA-UTIFUL!

Lisa Voerg said...

This card is absolutely beautiful. I love the flowers.

Anonymous said...

So pretty! Love the buttons!

Kelly Braund said...

Fabulous! Those flowers look great sponged, great idea!

Kim Wilson said...

Thank you for the comment :) it was my first hop so its a lot to learn ha ha! I am following your blog now, I love your cards! Feel free to add me too if you are interested!!!

Karen H. said...

Very pretty! Your violets are perfect!

Anita Rex said...

Such a gorgeous card! I love the flower set too but worried about coloring since I hav eno copics but sponging is fabulous idea! Love your card!

Lisa said...

I love how you did your violet!! This is such a great tribute to Melissa... I love her work but can never achieve the look... you did a great job!!